"Abortion kills twice. It kills the body of the baby and it kills the conscience of the mother. Abortion is profoundly anti-women. Three quarters of its victims are women: Half the babies and all the mothers." ~ Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta ~
Mary had a hearing on January 8 to possibly set her trial date. She has been in a jail for a long time. It will be a year on August 15th. Please keep her in prayer. Also, Lifesitenews put out an announcement of their 5 most popular articles for 2012 and an article about Mary was number 1. Please keep her in prayer and please write her. Scroll down to get her address and more instructions.
UPDATE FROM WILL GOODMAN:
"Today is the * 1 year * mark for the unjust imprisonment of Mary Wagner. Last year on August 15 (Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary) Mary peacefully took roses and pro-life information to mothers at an abortion mill in Toronto. She was wrongly arrested and has been incarcerated unjustly ever since at the Women's Detention Center in Milton, Ontario. Please pray for Mary, write her a letter or perhaps even make a visit. She is a great lady. Thanks and God bless".
WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET TO MOUNT A CONSTITUTIONAL APPEAL RE: THE RIGHTS OF THE UNBORN AND SUPPORT MARY WAGNER.
from kevin coelho
My dear Friends,
Some of you may have missed the news that Mary Wagner was at the Finch court on Tuesday August 27th all day. She was at the hearing after
being incarcerated for a year on August 15th 2012. She had told us
that she would only accept bail if NO conditions were attached. The
Prosecutor, in my opinion, was not willing to give an inch.There were
all kinds of false accusations made regarding her last protest at the
Since Mary refused to accept the conditions laid down that she would
stay away from this clinic for another year or so, she was taken back
to the Vanier prison.
John Bulsza, Mary Burney, Leeda Crawford and Kevin Coelho were at the
courthouse from 9am to 5pm.
Above all, we need your prayers that we win this appeal and restore
rights to the unborn..at this point in time, our lawyer, Charles
Lugosi is willing to take on this case for a hundred thousand dollars
( after meetings with him and research by John Bulsza,we are convinced
that this is a small amount considering the expenses that will be
incurred and that he will need another lawyer to assist him)we have to
raise this money soon The Mary Wagner Defence fund has been set up at
the BMO by Joihn Bulsza.
Donations can be mailed to
The Mary Wagner Legal Defence Fund(Aug 25,2013)
The Bank of Montreal
295 Boler Road,
London, On. N6K 2K1
Donations can be made to ANY bank of Montreal in Canada. The Bank
Account is #03198991-017.
If you wish to get an acknowledgement of your donation or assist in
our book keeping, please request the bank teller for a form called
CREDIT MEMO. Please complete it and include your name, address and
postal code before submitting to the teller!
You can also mail your donation to the above address of BMO in London.
NB Please circulate widely if you support this very worthwhile cause.
We expect to go to trial in a few months.
MARY'S LEGAL DEFENSE INFORMATION BELOW
LEGAL DEFENSE INFORMATION
CHRISTMAS CARD CAMPAIGN
DECEMBER 2ND-DECEMBER 26
CLC Youth invites YOU to send a Christmas card to pro-life heroine Mary Wagner as she spends her holidays behind bars for offering pro-life counselling to women in abortion clinic waiting rooms.
This is a simple action you cando to touch someone's life and offer them hope and love during this Christmas season. All you have to do is buy/ make a Christmas card and send it to Mary at the following address:
Vanier Centre for Women
P.O Box 1040
655 Martin St.
Please use the following guidelines to make sure it passes all prison requirements and Mary is able to receive the letter from behind bars:
1. Do not use any plastic cards, medals, stickers in your card
2. Put your return address on the card as well as on the outside of the envelope
3. Do not discuss the internal workings of the prison
4. Remember that the mail scrutinizing guards will read everything and anything confidential
We are all called to be actively pro-life in different ways. Some of us do street activism, some of us belong to our high school/ University pro-life groups, others go to the March for Life or participate in the local 40 Days for Life campaigns. No matter what YOU have been called to do to fight against this injustice, we all need to support each other any way we can. Mary Wagner is a young woman who needs our support now more than ever. Please take five minutes out of your day to mail her a Christmas card of encouragement since she will be spending this holiday season without her family and loved ones behind bars in a jail cell for standing up for the unborn.
From Will Goodman: (transcribed by jld)
+ Here is an article I just wrote detailing in brief and in part, Mary's courageous witness of charity for life.
+Please pray for Mary's hearing for Constitutional Standing set for Feb. 4.
Thanks to a special donation, I am leaving today to be present at the hearing and hopefully visit Mary. Please pray for safe travel and entrance into Canada.
Finally, here is an article I just wrote detailing in brief and in part, Mary's courageous witness of charity for life.
"Mary Wagner: Love's Prisoner of Conscience"
Mary Wagner began her full-time prolife mission in Canada after college. She served the most vulnerable in Vancouver, British Columbia, and traveled throughout the country defending life in many different ways, particularly through a peaceful, personal presence at abortion facilities. She worked with the Servants of Our Lady of Guadalupe at World Youth Day in Toronto in 2002. After that, she made numerous visits to the US to assist the servants in pro-life ministry, including sidewalk counseling, education, Frassati Outdoor celebrations of life, and a pilgrim/talk at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
During this time she encountered the religious order the Community of St. John. She took between 3-4 years discerning a contemplative vocation with much of that time spent in France at the mother house cloister. While in deep prayer at the convent chapel, Mary believed she heard the voice of Jesus Christ calling her back to serve the unborn children and their mothers in Canada, particularly those innocent ones in most imminent danger of violence. And so with the blessing of her superior she returned, maintaining a spiritual friendship with both the Community of St. John and the Servants.
Mary's unique mission of gentle love takes her to the abortion centers and even inside the facilities to share the light of Christ. She brings flowers and compassionate cards of aid to the women who are abortion vulnerable. She speaks words of peace and encouragement. And her charity is one which refuses to depart from the places of darkness and violence, even when instructed by those who wish to take the lives of the innocent to leave the scene of the crime. By God's grace, numerous mothers, fathers and babies have been touched by Mary's sacrificial Christian charity, and lives have been saved.
This mission of love combined with courage and steadfastness has not always been met well with the abortion industry and those favoring the more socialist and pro-abortion side of the Canadian government. As a result, Mary has been in prison for an overall total which surpasses three years. Her charge is "mischief". Currently she is being unjustly held in the Vanier women's prison in Toronto, and has been incarcerated since August 15, 2012 for reaching out to abortion-vulnerable mothers/children. On that day when she brought her trademark red roses and her smile, she was assaulted by members of the abortion mill. No charges were brought against these individuals.
So the question is asked, if Mary's only so-called charge is "mischief" then why is she still in confinement?
In response to Mary's quiet compassion, the government demanded that she never return to offer assistance to babies or mothers at any abortion facilities in the entire Province of Ontario. By God's grace, Mary has bravely returned three times to the killing centers knowing well that complying with unjust court orders only assists the oppressors and never the oppressed. As a result, the Crown has made Mary's current release conditional upon her signing an immoral court document stating that she promises never to be present at any abortion mill in Ontario. Again, sustained by Divine grace, Mary has refused and will continue to refuse to sign any dishonest contract with those favoring the assault on the innocent women and children. She sincerely desires that her words and actions will consistently bear witness to both the victims and the victimizers about the truth of the sanctity of all human persons. Thus, Miss Wagner has become a prisoner of conscience... a prisoner of love.
One might say that Mary is the "Queen's good servant, but God's first."
In this most recent time of unjust detention, some amazing things have happened while in she has been in prison:
1) She has helped to save the life of an unborn baby by talking to the pregnant mother in prison. (Who later came back to visit Mary and thank her for helping to save her son Alexander, who also was there for the visit!)
2) She was awarded by a pro-life Member of Parliament the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal of Honor as an outstanding Canadian who has made a lasting contribution to the good of the nation. (One of the highest civilian awards in the country.)
3) Some guards and prison staff are grateful for Mary's presence with the ladies in lockup, and state that her prayerfulness, respect and gentleness are having a huge positive impact on the population.
4) Her friend Bishop Gracias from India was elevated to Cardinal by Pope Francis to assist him with the reform of the Curia, and the new Cardinal visited Mary and celebrated a special Mass, the first ever, at the Vanier Women's Prison with other bishops and priests last year. There were many Confessions heard before Mass from a large number of penitents who were counted among both inmates and staff. Mary has written that the Holy Mass celebrated on the feast of St. Theresa Benedicta of the Cross continues to bear much fruit in the lives of theses women. Deo gratias!
5) Cardinal Gracias told Pope Francis about Mary and her mission, and the Holy Father gave Mary his Petrine blessing, a personal gift, a promise of his own prayers, and a request that Mary pray for him! (Thank you Pope Francis!)
6) The cases have garnered international attention from reports by Lifesitenews, particularly when a judge had said to Mary in court that "you are wrong and your God is wrong!" This was the most widely read pro-life internet story in the world in 2011.
7) The current case has attracted much national secular press attention as well due to the controversy of her Jubilee Medal award and her efforts to receive "legal aid". In the case of the latter, since she is attempting to mount a constitutional challenge to the Canadian laws regarding abortion, she applied for assistance to cover her costs since she is indigent. The Crown rejected her request, but only because the top government prosecution team of attorneys argued against her. All for a simple case of "mischief"?! This unjust treatment is attracting attention and admiration, even from those who do not consider themselves "pro-life".
8) Her witness is galvanizing the young adult pro-life movement in Canada, finding in Mary a heroine of peace who is emblematic of the courage, truth and love needed to stand for life. The Christmas Postcard Campaign organized by the Canadian national pro-life group Campaign Life Coalition went international, and Mary received thousands of positive greetings from throughout the world.
Mary acknowledges that any good coming from her "small efforts" are the grace of Almighty God and the fruit of the many prayers of those who love God and His children. We pray that her noble efforts may be used by God in a mighty way to challenge the culture of death in Canada and beyond, and that Mary's witness of love would inspire many others to peacefully and perseveringly build a victorious culture of life.
I am leaving now for Toronto to attempt to visit Mary and be present for her February 4 hearing.
Please pray for this important standing hearing. It will be to determine her standing for a constitutional challenge. This is a crucial victory being attempted now as it has been 25 years since any similar court challenge defending the personhood of an unborn child has been tried in Canada. Her attorney, Dr. Charles Lugosi, a former professor of Constitutional Law at Ave Maria Law School who has argued cases before the supreme courts of both the US and Canada, is attempting to invoke the Canadian Criminal Code under the "defense of others" and applying this to the unborn child and her mother. The hope is to bring a case of precedent before the Supreme Court using the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (their constitution), as well as expert testimony and state of the art technology, in order to bring protection to all persons.
Thank you for your prayerful solidarity for Mary, her case, and all the innocent in danger.
To view news on Mary from 2013 click here:
(separate page coming soon)